Please tell every dog or cat owner you know. Even if you don’t have a pet, please pass this to those who do.
Over the weekend, the doting owner of two young lab mixes purchased Cocoa Mulch from Target to use in their garden. The dogs loved the way it smelled and it was advertised to keep cats away from their garden. Their dog (Calypso) decided the mulch smelled good enough to eat and devoured a large helping. She vomited a few times which was typical when she eats something new but wasn’t acting lethargic in any way. The next day, Mom woke up and took Calypso out for her morning walk. Halfway through the walk, she had a seizure and died instantly.
Although the mulch had NO warnings printed on the label, upon further investigation on the company’s web site,
This product is HIGHLY toxic to dogs and cats.
Cocoa Mulch is manufactured by Hershey’s, and they claim that “It is true that studies have shown that 50% of the dogs that eat Cocoa Mulch can suffer physical harm to a variety of degrees (depending on each individual dog). However, 98% of all dogs won’t eat it.” Cocoa Mulch, which is sold by Home Depot contains a lethal ingredient called ‘Theobromine’. It is lethal to dogs and cats.
It smells like chocolate and it really attracts dogs. They will ingest this stuff and die. Several deaths already occurred in the last 2-3 weeks.
This is horrid. I would cry if this happened to any of my cats.
wait…hasn’t chocolate always been toxic to dogs? How is this a news flash?
The product does not have chocolate in it but smells like chocolate. Chocolate does smell good to some dogs. Though in my experience, dogs will eat anything put in front of them, whether or not it could kill them. Also, depending on the dog, they can have some chocolate. If I dropped an m&m or something with chocolate in it without realizing it, my dog would always eat it. He is still alive today.